Thursday, September 18, 2008

Community Service

After being heavily involved in the PTO the last few years at Youngsville Elementary I have enjoyed a little break in the action since the kids entered their new school. This week things are back to being busy, busy, busy. Thankfully the kids will track out tomorrow for a few weeks so we will have a little rest.

I have had my orientation this week into the committees at Thales Academy. Since we are a private school, our founder stated from the very beginning that there would be no fundraising which is wonderful...who needs 15 rolls of wrapping paper!? Anyways, I am on the Donation Committee and the Community Service Committee this year and have been designated a co-chair of the Donation Committee, apparently my reputation followed me from YES to Thales. This week has been filled with 2 meetings and another tonight, everyone at a different coffee shop in the area and I think I have had my fill of Cafe Mochas for the week...never:) One thing that I figured I could do was the soup labels, box tops, water bottle labels, etc...that generate money for the school, well, that is something that our founder is against. Imagine my shock when I was told that!! That is literally thousands of dollars in free money sitting there for the school to use and we can't! Instead we will go to area businesses and generate donations of goods and services for various activities.

For our Fall Community Service project we are joining with the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) to raise awareness and join in the walk on November 1st in RTP. We have a kindergarten student that was diagnosed 2 years ago so we are calling ourselves Team Ryan/Thales Academy. We will be holding a silent auction starting Oct 16th thru Oct 31st, right now we are asking for donations that can be auctioned off, if you would like to help please let me know. We will also be holding a Spirit Week the last week of Oct and a coin drive. I invite you to learn about Ryan at http://tinyurl.com/ryanstory and to join Team Ryan/Thales or to donate to Team Ryan by going to http://tinyurl.com/teamryan. We should have people beginning to sign up today so if you want to donate to a particular walker keep checking in to see when they sign up. Our silent auction will be listed online once we start getting items donated and I will post a link once that is ready. Anyone anywhere can bid on the items, not just Thales Academy parents. Please join us as we support JDRF!

1 comment:

Jenibug7 said...

Not sure how this works, but our school has asked parents to keep a log of volunteer hours because there is grant money if a certain % of parents volunteer a certain # of hours or something like that.