Friday, April 17, 2009

Relay for Life

As you know my family has had several members afflicted with cancer. My grandmother had lung cancer, my mom had colon cancer, her borther had prostate cancer and my dad passed away from esophageal cancer. Every year we have participated in Relay for Life to pay tribute to my grandmother and my dad and to honor my mom. It is hard to find anyone these days who has not been affected in some way by this awful disease and that is why I Relay.

This year I am the Team Captain for the Thales Academy Relay Team for the North Raleigh/Wake Forest event on May 15th and 16th. We are currently recruiting team members to come out and help us walk the track and support cancer research. If you are interested in joining us you can sign up at www.tinyurl.com/teamthales If you have any questions feel free to send me a message.

We will be collecting spare change at school the week of May 4th to donate to Relay for Life on behalf of the school and on May 5th we will be making cards to send to cancer patients at Duke and UNC. I will post more info about that in the next few days.

Looking forward to Relaying with you!!

2 comments:

Jenibug7 said...

hey- do you read readers digest?? there was an article this month about cancer screening tests- i'd love to hear your opinion since you have been so personally affected by cancer. let me know if you have read it.

The Partin's said...

No I haven't read it, will loook for it at the store. My parents used to get it and I would read their's. I have tried to have genetic testing before but kept hitting obstacles through the process with Dr's and insur. I'll let you know if I get a hold of the article.