Monday, April 6, 2009

Did anyone watch today's Oprah?

I am not a devout Oprah follower but will watch on occasion. Today was a hour long show about how mom's today feel overwhelmed and alone as well as some funny confessions. I must say this was an hour that I definately needed!!

There is a new book out called "I Would Trade My Husband for a Housekeeper" that they were talking about and they were also discussing the new show "In The Motherhood" which is written from real life mom stories. I watched ITM when it was a online show and loved it and now am watching the TV series and find it quite funny as well.

It was trying to teach mom's not to be so hard on themselves and how we as mom's tend to judge other mom's to harshly. Also, how we see these "perfect mom's" on TV and try too hard to make ourselves like them only we disconnect from the fact that that is on TV and not real. I will say that I don't try by any means to be a perfect TV mom but I do get frustrated and overwhelmed often.

Some of the "Mom Confessions" included a mom who admitted to making her kids an entire lunch out of the snacks she found in the car, another admitted to driving with her sleeping kids and not wanting to wake them to stop so she could use the bathroom so she used a diaper for herself (that is not one I have personally done but there was a time when I probably would have). I will admit that I have made my son pee in an empty diet coke bottle in the car so I did not have to stop on my way to wherever I was going at the time. Some other confessions I will make is that I got tired of making my daughter a different dinner than what we were having and in trying to get her to eat what we were eating she pitched a fit and cried at the table until she fell asleep at the table with her blanket, long after we had finished ours. I am also guilty of not jumping up everytime they cry b/c as their mother I can tell a difference between a cry of being "really hurt" and a cry of "I bumped my head". Both my husband and I are guilty of sleeping in on the weekends and letting the kids watch TV in the living room or play video games in their rooms until we get up.

Let me know if you saw the show today as well and what your thoughts were on it. Us mom's need to stick together and not try to bring each other down.

Ok, so there are some of my confessions. Please leave your own and maybe I will post some more in another blog soon! One more confession before I sign off...there are times when I would do ANYTHING for a housekeeper, sometimes even trading my hubby for one, but only for a couple of hours each week!

No comments: